Please take note of the following general information:
- The Consular Section of the Embassy of Algeria in Pretoria performs transcription of birth for children born in South Africa, Botswana and Lesotho only, if your child is born in another country than those countries, the registration must be made at the Algerian Embassy or Consulate in the country where the child is born;
- The birth of an Algerian child must be registered at the Algerian Embassy as soon as you get the birth certificate from the Home Affairs Department in South Africa or the relevant official administration in Botswana and Lesotho;
- Please be advised that it is in the citizen's interest not to delay the application for the registration of one's and/or kid's birth.
- Please note also that it is in the citizen's interest to provide all the documents listed below (see required documents section);
- Citizens who are not registered at the Consulate can apply for the registration of birth for their children; the applicant must be in possession of a proof of his/her Algerian nationality and identity. In this regards, the only documents accepted are: the Algerian passport, the National Card of Algerian Identity (CNIA) or the Military Card with a photo, the applicant must also fill an application form for non registered national and provide two (02) recent passport size photos with the name at the back;
- It is worth to recall that applications for the registration of birth should be submitted from 9am to 12am in the morning and from 2 pm to 4 pm in the afternoon (Monday to Thursday);
- Priority is given to applications for registration of births lodged in the same year of birth of the child;
- The process of birth registration depends on the number of applications and it may take more than a week.
The documents required for the registration of birth (Only for those born in the South Africa, Botswana and Lesotho) are:
- The application form, to be filled in arabic, dated and signed by the applicant;
- The original and a copy of the unabridged birth certificate of the infant (abridged certificates are not accepted);
- The family book, if you have one;
- A copy of the applicant's consular registration card for those registered in the Embassy;
- Applicant's proof of Algerian nationality and identity (should be the Algerian passport, the National identity Card (CNI) or the Military Card with a photo) for non registered citizens.The applicant must also fill an application form for non registered national and provide two (02) recent passport size photos with the name at the back.