What is it?
It is an extract of birth certificate, issued once in a lifetime, on a special and secured paper, this document is compulsory for the issuance of the biometric passport.
Where/how can I get it?
You can get it from:
- The Municipality of your place of birth if you are born in Algeria;
- Online through a website made available to the Algerian residing abroad by the Ministry of the Interior and Local Authorities: http://demande12s.interieur.gov.dz (read more how to apply below Step-by-step guide to obtaining your 12S birth certificate online);
- by proxy (procuration) to someone in Algeria to get it for you, the proxy must be done at the consulate;
- The Consular Section of the Embassy of Algeria in Pretoria if you were born in South Africa, Botswana and Lesotho and your birth has been registered at the Consular Section of the Embassy;
- The Civil Status Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Algiers if you are born abroad and residing in Algeria, and your birth has been registered at the embassy or consulate territorially competent.
Note: Please note that an Algerian ID (Consular registration card, passport or national identity card) is mandatory for the issuance of the 12s.
Step-by-step guide to obtaining your 12S birth certificate online
- If you were born in Algeria, and you live in one of the three countries: South Africa, Botswana or Lesotho, and you are registered at the Consular Section of the Embassy of Algeria in Pretoria you can submit an online application to receive your “12S” birth certificate.
- The application form can be found at: http://demande12s.interieur.gov.dz
- You are required to register on the website, after which you will receive an e-mail containing your password.
- In order to register, please click on the “Register” tab, and enter your first and last names, as well as your e-mail address.
- Click on the “12S Application” tab and input your e-mail address, along with the password you’ve received, and click on “enter”.
- Fill out the submission form with the relevant information, and click on “register”
- By logging in, you can keep track of your applications by clicking on “Submission Tracking”. This will display the status of all of your applications.
- Your “12S” birth certificate will be retrievable at the Consular Section of the Embassy of Algeria in Pretoria.